14,000 Palestinians in West Bank at “increased threat” of “forcible transfer”
Israeli soldiers stand guard during the demolition of a Palestinian house at the order of the Israeli army in the West Bank on January 21 2016
Thousands of Palestinians in the Israeli-occupied West Bank are faced with the prospect of home demolitions and expulsion, according to international NGOs.
According to the Palestine Shelter Cluster, approximately 13,800 Palestinians in 89 communities in the East Jerusalem periphery area, South Hebron Hills and Northern Jordan Valley “are at increased threat of demolition and forcible transfer” by Israeli occupation forces.
In 2016 to date, up to the end of October, Israeli forces have demolished 989 structures in the occupied Palestinian territory, displacing 1,528 Palestinians, including 719 children. The demolished structures include 278 which were donor-funded.
Overall, says the Shelter Cluster, the “demolition or confiscations of all structures have affected 6,000 people so far in 2016”, with 73 communities in so-called ‘Area C’ and East Jerusalem impacted.
In 21 incidents, the document says, “most or all of the structures in the community were destroyed.”
The figures are included in a monthly update issued by Palestine Shelter Cluster, part of a global mechanism supported by more than 30 organisations. Partners in the Global Shelter Cluster include United Nations agencies, Oxfam GB, Habitat for Humanity International, World Vision and others.
(Source / 28.11.2016)