After 60 years, Palestinians recall Kafr Qasim Massacre

In cold blood, Israeli occupation forces murdered 59 Palestinians during the night of October 29, 1956

Palestinians commemorated on Saturday the 60th anniversary of bloody massacre in which Jewish gangs murdered dozens in Palestinian village of Kafr Qasim.

Occupation imposed curfew, told Israeli troops to murder any Palestinian out of his home, including women and children, even if he did not know about the curfew, even to finish off wounded

Palestinians commemorated on Saturday the 60th anniversary of bloody massacre in which Jewish gangs murdered dozens in Palestinian village of Kafr Qasim.

The deadly event took place on October, 29, 1956 when the Israeli occupation forces shot dead 49 Palestinians in the village, including women and children.

“On that day, Israeli authorities issued a curfew on several villages in the Triangle area including Kafr Qasim,” mayor Adel Bdir said as he was speaking to Anadolu news agency.

At the time, Israel, along with Britain and France, was preparing to launch an attack against Egypt in an effort to regain the Western control of the Suez Canal.

Fearing of a possible conflict with Jordan, the Israeli army decided to move up the start time of a curfew in the village without warning local residents in advance.

“Around 400 local residents were outside for their work, unaware that the village was put under the curfew hours earlier,” Bdir said.

“Some 49 Palestinians were murdered in cold blood by the Israeli occupation forces that darkest night in my lifetime,” he recalled.

Israeli authorities launched an investigation into the killings and the border policemen who were involved in the shooting were brought to trial and sentenced to prison terms ranging between 8-17 years.

However, all were released two years after the massacre, while the brigade commander was ordered to pay a fine of one piaster.


Marking the anniversary, local residents and a number of Arab-Israeli leaders on Saturday took part in a march from the cemetery to the village’s main square.

“We do not want their apology,” Karim Issa, a 20-year-old Palestinian from Kafr Qasim, told Anadolu.

Issa said his grandfather had been killed during the massacre as he returned from his field. “He was a brave and good man with a shining smile on his face,” he added.

Mohamed Frieg, 17, said he participated in all activities marking the massacre since he was six. “I am here today to commemorate the memory of my ancestors and tell them that their cause is still alive,” he said.

“This march is our message to the murderers that we do not forget and will never forgive,” he added.

In 2015, the Israeli parliament, Knesset, rejected a bill, under which Israel would have officially acknowledged its full responsibility for the massacre.

(Source / 30.10.2016)


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s